LOUD NOISES

Leave a Comment


If you've ever had an MRI scan you'll know what the title of this post is referring to. If you haven't, they're a noisy place to spend 20 or so minutes. The big machine that you're laying in or through makes all sorts of sounds and vibrations as it aligns and excites hydrogen atoms in your body and receives the radio signals they emit. The result, a better understanding of what's going on inside.


I had another MRI scan on Wednesday. Why? Because the gluteal, leg and foot symptoms that I had experienced prior to my back surgery had returned. Over the past week or so as my surgical wound pain cleared my left foot went a little more numb and my left gluteal started to hurt again when I used it to stand up, etc. I was confused. I hadn't done anything wrong. Why was I getting pain again? Understandably, I was worried. I organised to see the surgeon and he ordered the MRI. 

It's ok. It's just a lot of post-op swelling around the nerve. Phew.

This was the forth MRI scan that I've had. The last two have been in fairly quick succession with the previous one to this occurring in early July while in Korea. The difference between the two experiences was quite remarkable. The main difference being the Australian scan was more comfortable.

The photo above is the actual machine that I had my scan in on Wednesday. They set me up on my back in a comfortable position with a chock underneath my knees to reduce the arch in my lower spine. They gave me ear plugs and headphones with my choice of music to distract me from the noise and even something to squeeze if I wanted to stop. In Korea they gave me dodgy ear plugs, told me to lay on my back and not to move. At the time anything that put me into lumbar extension (arching the lower back) was quite uncomfortable. Without any support under my knees lying on my back did exactly that. I kept calm in there and came out wet with sweat. It was a pretty horrible experience and now that I've had another scan at home it makes me appreciate the Australian health system.

This weekend the World Rowing Championships get underway in Aiguebelette, France. It's going to be great to see Australia take on the rest of the world to not only vie for podium positions but also qualify the country for the Olympic Games in the respective boat classes. If any of the Australian Rowing Team are reading this I wish you all the best and a special shout out to the guys in the heavyweight quad who I trained along side during their domestic preparation. The usual pre-race passing comment in the boat park, "have a good one".


SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG TEMPLATE CREATED BY pipdig