We Meet Again

2 comments




I write this while on my back in a hospital bed. It has been about 24hrs since I had back surgery to remove the pressure off my left S1 spinal nerve. According to my surgeon, who I just spoke to this afternoon, my L5-S1 disc (the bottom one) had basically exploded leaving me with the left gluteal, leg and foot symptoms that I've been experiencing. Not the greatest news to receive while lying in a post anesthetic daze.


How did I end up staring at the ceiling of a hospital...again?


Six weeks ago I was in Chungju, South Korea in the final few days preparation for racing at the 2015 Summer Universiade Rowing Regatta. I was there representing Australia in the men's single scull. I progressed to the semifinal but I wasn't rowing at my best. The next day I would find out why. During the morning warm-up row the outside of my left foot went numb and I experienced tingling on the outside of my left thigh. Needless to say I was worried and after immediate communication with my physiotherapist back in Tasmania I withdrew from competition.


So, after returning to Australia and undergoing a number of weeks of unsuccessful oral and injectable anti-inflammatory treatment, surgery was the only answer. Not only to return to rowing but return to a normal, pain free, physically active lifestyle. 

I have started this blog to allow anyone to join me on the journey ahead of me, the journey toward my goal of competing at the highest level of rowing, the Olympic Games. The journey behind me is already full of up and downs, if you have read the 'about' page of this blog you will know that I have had quite an injury history since 2009. My journey is where this blog gets its name from. 


I will share with you the events that transpire - good or bad - my thoughts on them and how I will use my experience gained from five other rehabs to return and progress to top level rowing competition. I am not normally one to share a whole lot, however I know I have learned from others and I think others can learn from my experiences. I will try to post something at least once a week. I can't promise anything, but I don't think this will be hard for the first few weeks as I spend most of my time staring at the ceiling as I wait for my post operative pain to settle. So, strap in, it may not be riveting but it will be interesting. I hope.


SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Home

2 comments

  1. Love this! Inspired, hope you are going great and cant wait to see row again! Much love muz ❤️

    ReplyDelete

BLOG TEMPLATE CREATED BY pipdig